Subject: Re: ADVICE : Learning Thi
From: [email-masked] (Justin Barrett)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 14:11:00 GMT

On 10 Oct 95, [email-masked] spoke up and said:

Sc> As I am working towards a career in this field I was wondering...How
Sc> long did it take for other people here to get good enough to work for
Sc> money?  I know this is something that really can't be tied down to a
Sc> certain time but I would like to know so I can sort of gauge myself.

I just got "paid" for the first time, and I've only been using Lightwave
for a year, with no prior experience in 3D.  (Our company's first project
included a new flying-logo animation for some local businesses, but all the
money we're getting is going to pay for the equipment expenses we've racked
up).

Sc> Also, for those of you who had to teach yourself, how long did you spend
Sc> each night working on it?

I started learning LW on a 3.0 Toaster setup at the local college, and
spent a few hours each day working at it.  Nobody else there knew a thing
about Lightwave, and I really perform better when I teach myself anyway,
so I just took off.  Even when I wasn't sitting at the computer, I was
looking at things around me and thinking, "How would I make this in
Lightwave?  Or this?  Or this?....."  It got to be kind of distracting for
a while...I was so pumped up because I actually had access to do 3D stuff,
which is what I've been wanting to do for quite a while.

Sc> One last
Sc> question, when did you really feel you were ready to work for money?

To be honest, I'm not sure that I *do* feel ready, even though it's already
happening.  It's weird!  I feel like I've still got a long way to go, and
yet people are thrilled to get what I *can* do now, so I'm not complaining.
 :-)

Sc> I guess the reason I'm asking these questions is, I've been teaching
Sc> myself for a while now and I was just wondering how long it took other
Sc> people to get out of the home and into the work place. Since I have no
Sc> others around me to learn with or share tips, I just wonder if I am
Sc> putting enough time and effort into it or if I'm putting too
Sc> much...'scuse the silly questions but when ya'll be yourself, it's hard
Sc> to gauge yourself on how I'm really doing. :)

Try putting a quick demo tape together of your best stuff, and start
spreading it around.  I'm sure that if you asked for a critique of your
work from the folks here, you'd get some very valuable feedback!  Give it
a shot!

         Justin Barrett - [email-masked] - 1:350/401
    Free Spirit Productions   -   Northland Cable   -   Peninsula College

 * Q-Blue 2.1 *
--
[email-masked] (Justin Barrett) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]